Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dar A Luz - to give to the light (a beautiful name for such an intense experience)

On November 22 in Namaacha Mozambique, a beautiful baby girl with the longest curly hair I have ever seen on a newborn was born with the fabulous (albeit slightly overused) name Sarah. She weighs just under 4 kilos, which I am told is really good, and has big beautiful brown eyes. It is such an incredible honor that my family named their newest bundle of joy after me even though it has only been a little over two months since they have known me. It's amazing that it only takes two months and a lot of laughing through awkward miscommunications to really feel like part of a family. It is also really funny to think that I am an "aunt" and that my 21 year old brother was the one who made me one!! Obviously, this is not Jeff, my 21 year old brother in the States, but Chris, my brother here. And no, in case you were wondering, my biological clock is not ticking any faster. I am content with playing the "hold her when she is happy and give her back to mommy when she a. cries or b. fazer xixi (makes pee)." So needless to say, my homestay family experience has been extremely successful and I don't think I could have ever been placed with a more loving or generous family.


P.S. I have a new address coming in the next week or two that will be my permanent address for the next two years! My future site/home is in Vilankulos in the Inhambane Province. I will be working for CARE (yay!!) and my backyard is the beach!!! I swear-in as a real PCV(olunteer) on Wednesday and move into my new home with my new roommate, Courtney, next Monday!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too cute about the new baby!!!! So exciting. Miss you a lot and I'm so proud of you! Congrats "aunt"

Emily said...

Congrats on being official! Miss you like crazy! Mwah!

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah,

Your "personal legend" makes for some really good reading. Can you post some pictures online? What does your Mozambique family look like?

It sounds like you're doing well and having a nice time. Keep up the blogging.

-Seth M.

Anonymous said...

i miss you so much!! yay for you, sounds like you're having an amazing time!! post your new address soon. love you!!

Unknown said...

Hi Sarah! I just finished for the semester and decided to catch up on your life...Wow, it sounds amazing! First, I hope someone informed you that Obama is the president-elect (woohoo)! Second, I hope that you enjoy your new family as much as the current one, because they sound pretty wonderful... what an honor to have someone named after you (but let’s face it, you rock!). Anyway, please send me your new address; Christmas is right around the corner! I love and miss you, Lauren