Friday, October 3, 2008

Arkansas in Africa?!?!

The strangest thing happened yesterday on the bus ride from the airport in Maputo (the capital of Mozambique) to the hotel we are staying in. I notice this kid walking down the street with a couple of his friends wearing a Razorback red shirt that said "Go Hogs!" So I, of course, being the spirited fan that I am, stood up on the bus, pointed out the window, and started calling the Hogs. It was pretty amazing.

So, as you probably guessed, I made it to Africa and even to Mozambique. So far everything is pretty much how I expected it to be. I have had a couple of shots (fortunately a lot less than most people), failed my language test miserably, and made some new friends. So far so good. Sunday, we move into our host family's home which should be really interesting and challenging. Then, ten intense weeks of cramming as much new information into my brain as possible. Should be pretty exciting!

5 comments:

Your Mom said...

Sarah Bear, the good thing about being a Razorback fan in Africa is that you won't know that they lost to Florida 38 to 7 today. Too bad about the language test. I guess Rosetta Stone needs to develop Mozambiquan Portuguese software instead of just Brazilian Portuguese. I bought a CD set of Portuguese lessons for $1.00 at a garage sale so I'm studying for our visit next year! Love you madly!

Aubs said...

SARAH!!!!

Found internet - at some random hotel - that barely works but it shall do for now. Miss you madly and hope Mozambique is superb! Text me your cell tell - I am 0023774199810 for you!

Heart, Me

Anonymous said...

Grammatical error #1: Ending sentence 1 of post 2 with a preposition. Amended: "The strangest thing happened yesterday on the bus ride from the airport in Maputo (the capital of Mozambique) to the hotel in which we are staying".

Just as promised...you're welcome ;)

Aubs said...

Sarah!

is it as difficult for you to find internet as me? i am guessing by the fact that you haven't posted in a while that i am correct. i hope that all is well with you and that you are better at portugese than i am at french! i also failed miserable and they had to make a special class for me. yea, pathetic i know! anyway, i miss you and love you and hope alls well!!!

love, me

Red said...

Sarah!
I am so proud of you yelling go hogs! That one semester of you actually being a razorback paid off! I cant wait to read more blogs!